Friday, April 29, 2011

Y is for Yardstick

How do you measure success? How do you judge the height and depth and breadth of it? Perhaps a huge house in a prestigious neighborhood is a sure sign for you. Maybe it’s the size of your bank account or the indulgences you can afford. Achievement? Fame? Fortune? Success comes in different sizes and shapes depending on what is important to you.
What yardstick works for you?
And how do you measure yourself as a human being? By the number of possessions you have accumulated…or by the number of people you have served?
By the self-sufficiency you have achieved…or by the friendship you have shared?
By the envy you have aroused…or by the charity you have shown?
How big is your heart? How happy is it? How do you measure up?
“Success should be measured by the yardstick of happiness;
by your ability to remain in peaceful harmony with cosmic laws.”
--Paramahansa Yogananda--
jan

2 comments:

  1. I have enough. This may be more or less according to other people's standards. I am happy with my life. I share what and when I can. I love and I am loved. It's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie--I think you're right. Other people's standards AND expectations don't always match ours...and they can skew our perspective.

    ReplyDelete