Sunday, February 23, 2014

i am a mutt


It seems that self-discovery tests are all the rage on Facebook lately. I don't usually play games or take quizzes, but I was snowed in for almost two weeks (our 1/2 mile driveway turned to solid ice) so I had a few minutes to spare. So far I've discovered that if I were a dog, I'd be a Mutt--but then, I already knew that. I found out that I should be living in Massachusetts. Close enough--but I really should be living in Vermont, with New Hampshire a close second. If I were a disciple of Jesus I would be St. Phillip--quiet and nature loving. Right on!

But this is the one I liked the most: Which side of your brain is dominant?



www.en.sommmer-sommer.com
You can take the quiz here .

www.literarygrrrl.blogspot.com
Haha! I scored 66% right brained, implying that I enjoy the gifts of creativity, curiosity, and intuition as opposed those of you who are left brain dominant--rational, logical, and hung up on rules. This suggests that I may have spent thirty years working in the wrong field...and that I have finally found my niche.

This might explain why I retired from the practice of medicine prematurely. The new rules were a poor fit for me. The insistence that doctors see more patients faster defeated me. My brain wasn't wired for the electronic medical record. Jumping through hoops to satisfy the auditors and attorneys and financial officers didn't make sense to me.
www.fifty6.co.uk
 So now I write. I love it here in the right side of my brain. It's such fun!

Are you right-brain or left-brain dominant? Do you think it matters?
                                                                           *
In honor of this weekend's thaw, here is a snippet I jotted down at a conference I attended where I struggled with all the other writing prompts. The prompt for this exercise was to write whatever we wanted:
  
"Not everyone loves winter in the woods with its grays and whites
and the stark black shadows of the trees. 
But then, not many people have a stream behind their house
where the snow falls soft and deep and still.
Where the ice freezes hard around the stones,
curls up into ripples and wrinkles and glitters in the sunlight
beneath their feet." 


*
                                                                                                                                                          jan  





3 comments:

  1. That was fun....I was 59/41 heavy on the rules side of the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never spent so many hours indoors as I did this winter. Now I'm going to take the brain quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is one of the such a lot important information for me.
    And i am glad studying your article. But should commentary on some
    basic things, The web site style is great, the articles is actually excellent : D.
    Excellent job, cheers

    my homepage; six degree flow

    ReplyDelete