Saturday, February 25, 2012

d-day

Monday is D-Day for me...Departure Day. It's the day I leave for a two-week medical mission to Tanzania where we will staff a remote clinic for several days. We won't have electricity so there is no reason to lug my laptop along...meaning that this will be my last blog post until I return.

For this reason, I have decided to send my followers off to meet a few of my friends while I'm away. These are some of the published authors in my Pennwriters critique group.


Pennwriters http://www.pennwriters.com is a statewide organization that provides a timely newsletter, critique and "round robin" groups, support, and networking opportunities for writers in Pennsylvania, across the country, and around the world. It also sponsors an excellent conference every year.  Join us May 18-20 in Lancaster, PA if you can!

First, I would like to introduce Don Helin http://www.donhelin.com .


 
Mild-mannered Don resides in scenic Perry Country, PA and his area of expertise is military thrillers like:

 

Read more about it on his website.

Dennis Royer http://www.dennisroyer.com is a consummate Corvette connoisseur.



His Perry County, PA mystery series includes "Dancing Bear", "Night of the Walrus", and "Catamount."




is the author of The Lazy Dog Mystery Series and "The Gospel of Mathias Kent."

Next is Tina Crone http://www.tinacrone.com . She writes speculative fiction that arises out of her scientific background.

 

Her short stories have recently been released as an anthology, "Speculative Journeys."

 

 
Every so often former state senator Franklin Kury will drop in. His memoir of his years in the Pennsylvania State Senate was recently released under the title, "Clean Politics, Clean Streams". He is a leading lecturer on environmental issues in the state.

 
And last but never least is George Appelt http://www.georgeappeltjr.com who writes paranormal suspense with a humorous twist.


His latest novel, "Shepherd's Fall" is due to be released in April.

This stellar cast of authors has been nothing but encouraging and supportive to me since I joined them two years ago. So, if you write but do not have a critique group...or if you're thinking about starting to write and you're just plain shy...have no fear! Join a critique group near you. They will welcome you.

Hopefully this will keep you busy while I'm away. Check out these authors' websites. Order a book! When I get back I hope to launch a blog to record my thoughts, feelings, and experiences in Tanzania. Look for "Cherished Illusions" in March.
*
"The only real voyage of discovery
consists not in seeking new landscapes,
but in having new eyes."
--Marcel Proust--
*
Wish me luck!
jan

5 comments:

  1. Take care. We'll be waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will think about you often and look forward to your return and all the stories you'll have to tell us.
    You're a real heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Delores and Susan. This is the opportunity of a lifetime for me. I have my journals and pens ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan. I'm visiting from the A to Z Challenge List to get a head start on finding some great new blogs. Nice to meet you! I'm inspired by your blog, love the title too, about new beginnings.

    I look forward to your A to Z posts in April!

    New follower!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're on quite an adventure. I hope you'll post photos upon return. Good luck with A-Z!

    ReplyDelete